Jewel (Big Sis Foodie) made breakfast this morning. We eat on rotation and today was a hazelnut day, so she decided to modify our recipe for Spongy Banana Breakfast Muffins which uses cashews as the main ingredient. The result was a keeper. We used two loaf pans to make the bread, but you could try it with one if you would like a taller loaf. However, you might have to watch it closely to make sure it does not burn towards the end of cooking. If you feel it is getting too brown cover it with foil paper. This bread would make scrumptious french toast. It has a nice bounce and was like a sponge, perfect for soaking up a soaking custard for french toast. We served our bread drizzled with honey, but I think maple syrup would have been better, but we were out. We topped it with fresh picked organic strawberries from our local Farmer’s Market. To serve as a side Jewel made a homemade turkey sausage with fresh ground fennel and a side of scrambled duck eggs. This recipe is done with duck eggs, but if you prefer to use chicken eggs increase the egg count to seven. You can also increase the honey in the recipe if you would like a sweeter bread. I think the balance was perfect not too sweet and it served as a perfect vehicle to soak up honey and the juice from the strawberries. If you have any questions, drop us a line. Happy eating!
(Grain-free, Dairy-free, Almond free)
makes 12 Jumbo muffins
6 Duck eggs
219 grams Cups of Hazelnuts or Hazelnut Meal
1/4 tsp ground allspice or nutmeg
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tb Olive Oil
2 Tbsp honey
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
57gr or 1/2 cup Tapioca Starch
2 Bananas (Reserve one to add last)
Mix in by hand:
1 Reserved Mashed Banana
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare two loaf pans, either greased or lined with parchment. I used IKEA silicone loaf pans which I love. Gluten Free baking is so much easier with silicone.
- If you are using whole hazel nuts, use your food processor to break down the nuts into a meal. Do not make nut meal, but a type of flour. It will be granular. We use a powerful Kitchenaid Food processor.
- In a blender (I have a Vitamix which is very powerful) blend/whip up eggs.
- Add in salt, baking soda, spices and nut meal and blend just long enough that the cashews get pulverized, but still fill grainy in-between your fingers. (Note: Photo is of our cashew mix, but the hazelnut will look similar)
- Add in the rest of the ingredients including ONE banana, reserve the LAST MASHED.
- Blend 5 seconds and then mix the rest if the ingredients by hand so that you do not over process the banana.
- Pour into prepared loaf pans and bake 350 for 20 minutes and then check with a skewer. It should com out clean. If they are not done flip the loaves and check them in 2-5 minute increments.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until tops are golden and centers springs back.
© 2014 – 2016, Compelled Life. All rights reserved.