Hi I am E.Sara or Momma Foodie.
If you are new to our page I am a Professional Gluten Free Baker and recipe writer. Our family eats gluten free and we eat loosely on rotation for some food groups, including eggs, nuts, legumes and meats. In December our family was prayed for and over night the belly aches, sinus infections, etc vanished after years of torture. With our new found freedom we have found it beneficial to continue rotation and give our digestive tracts a rest from eating common items daily because if we start to eat too much of certain foods our bodies start signaling to back off. So a loose rotation it is happily.
Today was our cashew day and I needed to start breakfast. This is a no grain or legume day. So, grain free it was. I have a ton of recipes I have written that have been successful, but I am always looking to try something new. Back to the cashews, I wanted to bake some kind of muffins for the family to eat with their organic sweet potatoes and I came across this recipe for Blueberry Crunch Muffins from Katy She Cooks. I could not follow the recipe as written because it called for almonds and almonds can be touchy around here , so we rotate them so we can continue to eat them freely on almond day. I was healed once from food intolerance and I didn’t carry any valuable lessons learned into my new found freedom and I ate dairy and wheat every day for six months. Then one day everything came back all my food issues. As you probably guessed I learned my lesson and I say “Thank you YHWH for healing me and thank you for ALL the lessons I learned on how to nourish my body.”
Anyhow, I created a breakfast muffin here that my family said was “Delicious!” I didn’t eat any because I am doing a cleanse, but I took a nibble and they are lightly sweet, very springy, but not eggy, with nice bits of warm banana through out. My daughter said they would be spectacular with chocolate chips. I only used 1 tablespoon of oil because I actually wanted a lighter end product, rather than heavy and dense. If you like a sweet muffin increase the honey. Enjoy!
Spongy Banana Breakfast Muffins
(Grain-free, Dairy-free, GAPS-Friendly if you use Almond flour instead of starch)
makes 12 Jumbo muffins
- 6 Duck eggs
- 219 grams Cups of Soaked and RAW Drained Cashews (Approx 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tb Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 drops Stevia
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 57gr or 1/2 cup Tapioca Starch
- 2 Bananas (Reserve one to add last)
Mix in by hand:
1 Reserved Mashed Banana
and 47 grams of Cashews chopped.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Have ready a a jumbo 12-cup muffin tin, either greased or lined with muffin cups. I used a silicone pan which I love. Gluten Free baking is so much easier with silicone.
- In a blender (I have a Vitamix which is very powerful) blend/whip up eggs.
- Add in salt, baking soda, spices and cashews and blend just long enough that the cashews get pulverized, but still fill grainy in-between your fingers.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients including ONE banana, reserve the LAST MASHED banana and 47 grams of chopped cashews.
- Blend 5 seconds and then mix the rest if the ingredients by hand so that you do not over process the banana.
- Pour into 12 prepared muffin cups. I used a large ice-cream scoop, but you can use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to get even proportions to fill the muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until tops are golden and centers springs back.
© 2014, Compelled Life. All rights reserved.